The title of this post is a question that some Christians need clarity with. In Matthew 24:20, the Bible says that we should "Pray that our flight will not take place in winter or on the sabbath."
The context of Matthew 24:20 was in relation to the Parable that Jesus taught the disciples on the Mount of Olives. The Parable is called: "The signs of the End times.
- Jesus Christ sat on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple when Peter, John, James and Andrew asked him some questions privately. They asked Jesus about the signs of the End times (Matthew 24:1-35, Mark 13:1-29 and Luke 21:1-33).
- Jesus Christ explained that there will be troubles in the world, earthquakes in various places, famines, tribulations, siblings will betray one another and a father will betray his child, nations will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.
- - False prophets will deceive many, even believers will be deceived.
- Jesus Christ also said that it will be a painful time for those that are pregnant or nursing a child.
- Many are going to come and proclaim the name of Jesus but they are fake.
- Jesus Christ was teaching them that things on earth will not last forever regardless of how valuable or beautiful those things are.
- Jesus Christ said the love of most will grow cold
- Many will turn away from the faith and betray and hate each other.
- Jesus Christ said when we see all these things, we should know that the end is near. He used a fig tree to explain it further by saying that, when a fig tree becomes tender and brings forth leaves, we know that summer is near.
- Jesus Christ said all His Words must be fulfilled before He returns, and the gospel will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
- Jesus Christ said that we should pray that our flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath.
- Jesus Christ said that, for the sake of His holy children, the days of the troubles will be shortened. Therefore, if the world is experiencing troubles, as Christians, we should seek God's mercy and we should pray for God to shorten the days of all the troubles.
So, what does Jesus mean when He said that we should pray that our flight should not be in winter or on the Sabbath?
- For us to pray that all these things (troubles) should not happen when most things are normally restricted and most places are difficult to get to.
- Wintertime is usually a time that it snows. Sometimes transport is restricted, it becomes dark quickly, the visibility on the road is reduced, it is also usually very cold and most people can't wait to be indoors so as to keep warm.
- For Sabbath days, there are restrictions too and most people are restricted in what they can do on a Sabbath day.
- God is telling us to pray that all the troubles should not happen when most things are normally restricted as it will make it a lot worse.
Are you praying for God to shorten the troubles in the world?
Have a lovely week!
See you next week Monday and Tuesday for another post.
God bless you.
- Mysses Lafunky