Could you imagine trying to have a best friend without communicating with them? Or your spouse travelled for a week and you were unable to communicate with your spouse? How would you feel? Imagine, being a Christian and not talking to God? The direct telephone numbers to God are within these two scriptures: Jeremiah 29:13 and Jeremiah 33:3.
“You will seek me, and you will find me because you will seek me with all your heart.” (Jeremiah 29:13 GNT).
“Call to me, and I will answer you; I will tell you wonderful and marvellous things that you know nothing about.” (Jeremiah 33:3 GNT).
What's Prayer all about?God wants us to improve our prayer lives, including me the author of this post. I believe the word 'Prayer' sometimes makes us feel like it is a big task to undertake.
Trying to be creative with the terminology, prayer is simply a time you talk to God, a time you hang out with God, a time God listens to you and a time that you listen to Him.
You may not be able to send a WhatsApp message to God, ring God, send a text message or snapchat to God, you may not be able to even send an email to God but guess what? Prayer is just as real as talking to God on the phone or sending an email.
Why Should You Pray?
- It's a command from God: Jesus told
his disciples a parable to teach them that they should always pray and
never become discouraged. (Luke 18:1).
- It makes your relationship with God stronger. You truly get to know God a lot when you hang out with Him on a regular basis.
- It is a way to seek God and His direction for
- Praying also helps you to keep and stay out of trouble. Jesus told us to, "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation." (Matthew 26:41)
- God will know exactly how you are feeling every day of your life, God will grant you the desire of your heart. God will reveal the hidden things to you.
Jesus - The Perfect Prayer Role Model
- Jesus was a man of prayer
- Jesus lived a life of prayer: Jesus would
go away to lonely places, where he prayed. (Luke 5:16).
- Prayer was so important that Jesus had to
teach the disciples how to pray.
- Jesus Christ sent the crowd away into the
wilderness and prayed alone with God, a place where no one could find him (Matthew 14:23).
- Before making decisions, Jesus sought the
views of God: Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and He
spent a whole night with God, and he chose his disciples after He had
prayed (Luke 6:12-14).
Why don't we Pray?
- The Devil is always looking for every opportunity to stop you and I from praying.
- We do not prioritise prayers.
- We engage ourselves in so many things.
- Some of us believe that we only need to pray when we fellowship with our church brethren.
- Some finds prayer very boring and tasking.
- Some people do not know how to pray.
- Too busy to pray.
- Postponing when to pray.
- Some people believe their spouse, parents or their church leaders are praying for them.
- Some people believe Jesus has prayed all the prayers that they need in life.
Tips on Improving Your Communication with God
1. Sometimes some of us say we don’t have a specific time to pray. There is no way we can learn to practise and stay in the presence of God if we don’t have a secret time and time alone with God. Have a time that you communicate with God. Also, be creative about your prayer lifestyle, pray while doing your chores, pray while cooking, pray while bathing, pray while driving, have a prayer walk, etc.
2. I believe the initiating of prayer is not an issue but the problem is that, do we keep it going? Do we preserve in prayer? If it helps, have an accountability person, tell someone to always remind you to pray.
3. You need to be highly disciplined to continue and persist in the place of prayer. Sometimes, it's not going to be convenient.
4. Renew your mind and consciously believe that prayer is not a difficult task but rather a time to hang out with God.
5. When you pray, do not doubt. Ask in faith - James 1:6-8.
6. Say what you want . . . Speak it! Mark 11:23 states that, whoever says to this mountain, be removed and be cast into the sea, and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says he will be fine, he will have whatever he says.
7. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you to improve your prayer life. In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. (Romans8:26).
8. Take time to talk to God when you will have less distractions from other things.
9. Have a Godly friend that you can pray together, this can also help improve your prayer life.
10. There are prayer books that you can purchase online that can guide you in your prayer.
11. When you study your Bible, raise prayer points within what you have read.
12. Tell God about everything on your mind, pray for yourself, your friend, your family, pray for your country.
Are you a parent? One of the greatest gifts you can give your child is teaching your child how to pray. Help your child to develop a daily life of prayer, from age 2 upwards, encourage your child to lead prayers during your family devotion, encourage them to pray on their meal before eating, encourage them to share their worries with God including their wishes, encourage them to thank God for their family, friends, health, protection, character, wisdom from God, their future, etc.
Having read this post, please take 5 minutes to hang out with God.
Enjoy the rest of your week.
- Myss Lafunky