David said: "I must perform my vows to you, O God; I will render thank offerings to you. For you have delivered my soul from death, yes, my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life." (Psalms 56:12-13 ESV).
Is God due your praise this morning? Have you made a vow to praise the Lord at all times? David said in Psalm 34:1 that he will bless the Lord at all times and his praises will be on his lips.
David made a vow to praise God and looking through the book of Psalm we can see how he praised the Lord in the morning, , night, through the good, through trials and tribulations and through victory, David praised God.
Why should we praise God?
- Praise God because He made us (Psalm 100:1-4)
- Praise God for who He is ... He's a good God. Psalm 106:1 says: “Praise the Lord! Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!”
- Praise God for all His Word is True, His word is Yes and Amen (we can totally depend on his word) "For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us" - 2 Corinthians
- Praise God because of His greatness and mighty works (Psalm 150:1-5)
So, what are the benefits for you when you make a vow to praise God?
- You will experience the fullness (not half or quarter) of Joy - praise uplifts our souls. Our own hearts will be filled with joy. Psalm 68:3 says “But the righteous shall be glad; they shall exult before God; they shall be jubilant with joy!” Our heavy heart becomes light. When you’re in a bad mood, begin praising God and you’ll be amazed at how the atmosphere would change.
- Praise changes the spiritual climate. It leads to victory. When Paul and Silas were in prison, they praised God and an earthquake freed them. Praises lead to deliverance. See what Acts says. -26
- Praise fulfils your primary purpose as a created being. 1 Peter 2:9 says that we are a chosen generation, a Royal priesthood, a holy nation, his own special people that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvellous light
- You receive hope for the future. You are being reminded of the blessings of God over your life when you praise Him and you reflect on what He has done for you, which gives you hope for the years ahead.
- Those around you would benefit from it, both believers and unbelievers, it can draw people to Christ and it can encourage those in the Lord. Ephesians "speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord"
Tips on Praising God
- Read the book of Psalm regularly
- Spend time in fellowship with God
- Sing praises and hymns
- Let His praises always come out of your mouth wherever you find yourself
- Praise him with your mind, dance, instruments etc.
Let our lips offer praise to our God. Lips of our children and every household of God.